Friday, August 12, 2011

WARNING: The following pics may be to upsetting to view! But view you must.

The other day on a lark, I decided to drive by the old homestead at 568 Elm Grove Dr.


Much to my surprise I find that it is in a state or disrepair and all boarded up. I thought for a moment that the present owners had had a fire but upon further investigation I find that the State of Illinois, department of Transportation, now owns the property!

It was purchased by the State and I'm sad to report that in September or November 2011 it will be torn down in order to accommodate the U.S 20 bypass /South McLean Blvd. improvements.


My attempts to gain access to the house one last time have been rebuffed by bureaucratic "safety" fears. 




I have not given up just yet. Will work on the contractor the day of demo and slip the equipment operator a saw buck and see what happens.

















Much to my surprise, delight, I found the rhubarb plant in the exact spot where it was planted some 60 years ago. By hook or crook, it will be transplanted to its new home on Erie street
































More to come on later postings.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for this Kurt.

    A jumble of emotions have swept over me reading your post and viewing your images. One of these days I'll sort them out.

    Until then, keep up the vigilance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps--the first photograph reminds me of this:

    http://dearphotograph.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Kurtie...I can still see myself at that kitchen window waiting for Mom to come home with Jenny from the hospital. Such fond memories I have of our home...I'm sad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Contact the Historical Preservation Society. Pretty sure I hid a treasure trove of baseball cards in there somewhere. Thanks for your vigilance. Hope you can get in one last time. Sad to see it go.

    ReplyDelete