Friday, February 10, 2012

Oysters on the half shell.

Brother SJE is correct when noting that Oysters are meant to be eaten raw. I must admit my first Oyster was in New Orleans at Mardi Gras when I was 19. It was full of salt water and not very good. Seance then I have had them covered in a number of toppings and have enjoyed them. Yesterday Wendy and I had lunch a Caroline's in Apalachicola. Wendy ordered the Ruben sandwich and I started with a half dozen huge, raw, on the half shell. V
VERRY GOOD!

A little Tabasco and cocktail sauce and I did not realize what I had been missing all these years! Apalachicola Oysters have to be the prime rib of the oyster world.

Wendy was only happy because there was way less fat involved in the portions I was eating.

I did offer Wendy an Oyster. The expression on her face says it all!    

5 comments:

  1. SJE's recipe for 'special sauce' for raw oysters:

    Mix ketchup (catsup) with horseradish to taste.
    Add bourbon to taste.
    Taste.
    Repeat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who said SJE was a wise guy. Know I know what they mean! TX for the special sauce!

      Delete
  2. Can't wait to join you at Carolines and share a dozen ( or two ? )of these tasty treats. Maybe Linda and Em will try one ?

    ReplyDelete