Wednesday, April 03, 2013

Measuring success


Having given the process of weight loss surgery my full consideration, I decided to enter the Kane program with a number of goals. During a required Psychiatrist visit I was asked what my goals in weight loss were. Looking back now see it as a loaded question. I heard “goal” yet the question was “goals” combined with the words “weight loss” the most often answer the Psychiatrist hears is a number. I gave him 220 -230 lbs as a goal. At this point, anything under 300 is a win. He is in fact looking for other goals that are relevant to a sustained weight loss. I have not been on a scale for a week or so but estimate my weight at 335 lbs. Started at 368. 
  
I did go on to say that other goals were to fit in cloths better, less pills, more energy, live longer,  fit into chairs better, thought no matter how much weight I loose, I refuse to sit into the pre-fab plastic, one size fits all booths. They should be outlawed.

I’m fitting into my 4 XL shirts with room too spare and my sweatpants need hiking up several times during my daily walks. Ah progress.

Reducing my pill intake will take a bit longer but having met an endocrinologist in the hospital I have a better felling that this part of my recovery is on a much better track. A number of medications I was/are on state that weight gain is a side effect. I was given clear directions on which medication to stop taking and as I started to eat which medication to start if blood sugars started to climb above 130. I’m happy to report that I’m on track having stopped taking Actos which is having serious side effect implications. I have also cut in half another med for diabetes.

More as more comes off. 

1 comment: